Cancer in a time of Covid

We're all living in a shrinking world. My world seems to have shrunk faster than most. A few months ago, even in lockdown, I could go for long walks, and I was still working full time from home - so that even if my body didn't leave the sofa, my mind did.

Now, in the middle of chemo, I'm stuck inside, with not much to do, and even less energy to do it. I try to get out for a walk each day but the most I've managed in the last week is around the meadow across the road, and I haven't felt up to it every day. (One of the side effects of the drugs I'm taking is sensitivity to cold, so the weather hasn't helped.)

I've been trying to do a few small things each day - a phone call or a little bit of cooking - but then I have to rest up. I've always been active - someone who keeps going - and it's frustrating to say the least. I'm so envious of friends whose photos of long winter walks fill my Facebook feed.

I keep wondering what it would be like if there wasn't Covid, or I didn't have cancer. 

I know that I've been lucky not to have had any delays to tests or treatment because of Covid. And no-one close to me has had to be hospitalised because of Covid. And my mother, who is 90, is still in her own home and so we've been able to go on seeing her and providing care. And I get regular outings to the hospital - yay!

But I'm still longing for the day when I can go for a walk, or wander round the shops, or sit in a cafe, or just spend time with people.

On the plus side, it's now two weeks since I had my first dose of the vaccine which means my immunity should be on the up - though not taking any chances yet!

Last week was chemo treatment 3. For the first time, I managed to have all three drugs, although only half the normal dose of irinotecan, the one I reacted to previously.

Everything went OK this time, which was a relief, and after a couple of weeks with no chemo, it was good to get going again. 

I'm beginning to see the pattern in how I react and recover and know what to expect.

On the day of treatment, I come home with a pump attached to the line in my arm. This stays on for 48 hours and delivers the final drug (fluorouracil) at a very slow rate. It looks bizarrely like a baby's bottle with a filled condom inside which very slowly deflates...


So sleeping the first night is always a bit tricky - the pump has to be tucked behind my pillow and I need to remember not to roll over and strangle myself with the line. To be honest that first night, I think my body is just dealing with too many chemicals to let me have any sleep.

The other main sympton at this stage is the 'pins and needles' from oxaliplatin. I also get numbness in my face which the oncologist thinks is due to the same drug. Both are made worse by the cold - so I have to remember to run a tap until it's warm, and not to drink water that's too cold.

They give me extra anti-sickness meds and steroids to take for the first three days post-chemo, and these seem to give me enough of a buzz to tide me over the worst of the tiredness to begin with. The pump comes off on day 3, hurrah!

But then, just when I think I should be starting to feel better, things get harder. Tiredness, nausea, and generally just feeling crap. I've been trying to keep some kind of routine to give my days some structure but it's hard, physically and mentally. Roll on the spring, when I might be able to sit outside.

Around this time my sense of taste disappears for anything at all subtle, and instead my mouth feels like it's been rinsed out with chemicals. Curry and marmite are the order of the day.

By a week after treatment day, I begin to feel a tiny bit more energy. Physically, the nausea begins to fade and symptoms move further down the digestive tract. (Thank goodness I'm always sent home with plenty of immodium...)

And just as I'm beginning to feel a bit more 'normal' again, it's back to the clinic for a blood test, a Covid swab and then the whole thing starts again.

All being well, chemo 4 is due next week. And as the plan is to do around 12 treatments, that means I should be a third of the way there. That feels good.

This blog is dedicated to everyone struggling with a shrinking world.

Comments

  1. And a third of the way is nearly half...

    Hang in there. Hope it'll get little easier each time... xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please hang in there Mary. We are thinking of you and praying hard too AND missing you terribly 🤗🤗. It is so inspiring to read your blogs. We will stay with you through this difficult time x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sun shines today. The snowdrops are up. Spring will come and our shrinking world will exhale ... . Think and pray for you daily. Masses of xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix. Managed a walk by the river in the sunshine this morning which was good xx

      Delete
  4. Dear Mary, thank you... you are giving me an insight into the regular small ways chemo / cancer constricts your life and changes everything for you, Chris and your boys.
    So important for me / us to understand and understand and understand.... Such respect for your perseverance, resilience and clarity... amazing!! a big virtual hug from across the world...and a walk in the sun sounds wonderful!! Much metta - loving kindness meditation is flowing your way. Unsure what this does but good for me to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do hope the spring comes very soon and you can at least enjoy sitting out with the sun on your face - thinking of you, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Mary for sharing your experience - it helps me know how to pray for you. My world has temporarily shrunk following surgery - made it as far as the bin yesterday, the bottom of the garden will be a wonderland when I can get that far.
    Praying for you - for sleep, sunshine and a world that gets bigger
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I hope your world starts expanding too! But I'm afraid it's just come up as 'unknown' and I can't work out who you are! Email or FB message if you don't want to reply on here.

      Delete
  7. Mary, I'm sorry life is such a struggle. Your resilience and ability to describe what is happening to you is extraordinary. Spring is on the way. The snowdrops are out and the weather is warming. Sending much love Catherine x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

So you do fundraising then? No...

The end of chemo